Sunday, September 21, 2008

Surviving Ike

I just want to preface this by saying that I know there are people that are WAY worse off than me and people even in my neighborhood who had trees fall on their houses and now have holes in their roofs and there are people who lost everything and my heart goes out to them and I feel for their losses. That being said, this is my story and being that it is my blog, it will be all about ME!

So it all started the Sunday before Ike when a woman in RS said that her husband works in the weather center at one of the news stations and that they were predicting that Ike would be coming our way and that we needed to prepare. My friend I was sitting next to said to me "uh oh, I just got the chills." So right then I had a feeling that it wouldn't be good.

Wednesday night the news started saying that Ike was coming for us so I got up early and went to Walmart to get some more water and supplies. Alex called and said something about how traffic was great on the way to work, when I got to Walmart, I knew why. Everyone and their brother was there. It took us 45 minutes to check out and all the lines were open. Craziness!

Friday, I did all my laundry, cleaned my house and stressed out by watching lots of news about when Ike would make landfall. It started to rain about 11 pm it got scary about 3 am, we lost power around 4 am. Somehow we slept for part of it. The tree we were worried about hitting our house, didn't move but the one next to it fell right along side of our house and a section of our fence was blown about 20 feet away. But that was all the damage we had, we were very lucky.

The crazy wind and rain continued till about noon and soon after the water ran dry. We got water back on Thursday and today after 9 days without electricity, we got our power back this afternoon! It took a little while for it to sink in and when it did I imediately started doing laundry! There is still the fear of rolling blackouts, but for now I am extremely grateful for the electricity. And I do not wish to go camping any time soon.

I am proud to say I only had one major breakdown, which of course happened this morning and I think Heavenly Father said "ok she's going to really lose it if we don't give her her power back, let's get 'er done" I know he loves me, but really I think it was more for the benifit of my children (crazy moms are generally not good).

6 comments:

The Woody's Fam said...

I am glad to hear you and your family are doing fine. And that you have some sign to normalcy back. Good luck for the days to come!

Tracie said...

i am so glad it is over!!! you are a trooper! i would have quit!

Becca Queen of Chaos said...

You have been in my prayers!! I'm glad that is over!!

Misty said...

I am sooo glad that you are ok and your house is ok! I thought of you down there!
9 DAYS! You will have to give us all tips on how you did it and prepared later on when you are not quite as stressed!

Tiffany said...

I am so glad to hear that you fared so well. I have been thinking about you. I am glad that your prized washer and dryer are finally part of the family again. I don't know how you did it that long without power, I would have had a lot of breakdowns.

Lauren said...

I did all of our laundry that Friday too. I wanted to call you, but I didn't have your phone number. We only got heavy rain and a little wind in CS. Our fence did break in two spots though. I am so glad you got your power back on. You are a trooper!!!